Monday, July 16, 2012

Red Baker

Red Baker
By Robert Ward
I have mixed emotions about this book because in many ways I really enjoyed it and in other ways I'm perplexed by it.  One thing I will quickly say is that a little bit of the language could have been toned down.  It is definitely not a book for a young child to read, not that they would be reading it anyway.  While it is a fascinating book that I was so intrigued by, I'm not sure it is as good as a couple of previous books I have read. 

Some of the story line seemed to meander a little and I would find myself wondering where it was going.  Then at other times it would come together and I could see how the various underlying plots were developing and coming together.  All in all, it was a book that held my attention, but maybe didn't completely captivate me.  I'm glad I read it and would offer it up as a good book to read.

Through the book though, I felt it easy to identify with the various main characters as they were laid off from their job and had very few skills to fall back on.  It was somewhat sad to see how they struggled with all of this in life, some fairing better than others.  I could fully understand how the male characters felt when they could not find sufficient work and how difficult that becomes in life.


At the end of the book, the plot twisted in a way that I didn't expect.  I'm not going to give anything away here and spoil it for anyone who is reading this book or has not read it.  However, the ending gave me pause in how I view things and what truly is right or wrong.  It would be easy to say that things are black and white with no grey in-between.  Yet, this book clearly depicts a scenario where that may not be true.

The book, Red Baker, left me thinking about many things and it will challenge some of the ways I look at the stresses of life.  I doubt I would give the book 5 stars, but would most definitely give it 4 stars.  It is a good and enjoyable read.


Red Baker by Robert Ward
Available On Amazon in Paperback and Kindle Format



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post And Images (c) 7/16/12 by Don Shetterly

  • Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form. 
  • You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment