Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sleeping Tigers

Sleeping Tigers
By Holly Robinsonon
On Amazon

A funny thing happened when I found this book.  Remember Holly Robinson Peete that was on the Apprentice and went up against Bret Michaels in the finale?  Of course, Bret Michaels won, but this review isn't about the Apprentice.  Instead, when I saw this book by Holly Robinson, I mistakenly thought it was Holly Robinson Peete from the Apprentice.  Okay, my mistake and I"m sure others have done the same thing.

Anyway, I figured that I would read this book anyway.  It sounded interesting enough because it was written around a character that had to deal with life after cancer.  Because I have a close friend going through something like this, I thought it would be a good read and maybe offer some insight as well into cancer.

As I started to read this book, I found that there were some strong dynamics taking place with the characters.  In fact, some of the story line really hit home for me with some of my own past experiences.  At first, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read something as close to my own personal life as this book was taking me, but then I figured, I would go for it!  I am glad I did.



Struggling with rejection from her fiance after an experience with breast cancer, Jordan set out for San Francisco to spend the summer with her best friend in the world, Karin.  It was summer break after all and Jordan did not have to be back on the east coast for her teaching job until the fall.   Stumbling into her long lost brother, Cam, she became acquainted with a life she never knew existed.

As the story goes, Jordan is thrust into motherhood without as much of a decision to say yes as she would like.  Yet, it isn't all more than she would want.  As she goes to great lengths to find her brother who fled the country, she comes to terms with her own life and his, of how there are many tigers to face in the world.

Our world is not always as it appears and even though we package our families into pretty Norman Rockwell paintings, sometimes there is more than meets the eye.  In this fictional book, this family was nothing more than what is all too common in our world.  The author however, helps pull you along and then thrusts you right in the middle of a family situation that unfolds at will, without any way to stop it.

This book was difficult to put down and it only took me a few days to read it through completely.  It was full of suspense and surprise as I read the pages.  Never could I have guessed where the author was going to take me as I completed each page. 

One thing I found a little disturbing was the language usage in the book.  While I'm not offended by the words that were used, I just felt it could have been written without most of them.  If you are offended by sexual and anatomical words that are graphic, let me forewarn you that you will find these in several places.  It wasn't like it took away from the book in how good it was, but I'm not sure it really added that much.  It is definitely not for young children at least in my view if you are worried about the language they read.

If you want a book that is full of suspense and surprise and will keep you guessing what is going to happen, Sleeping Tigers is for you.  You can read more about it on Amazon.com and decide for yourself.  However, I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I did.  I would love to hear your thoughts on what you enjoyed most about this book.


Sleeping Tigers by Holly Robinson - Available on Amazon
Paperback and Kindle Versions



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Post And Images (c) 7/11/12 by Don Shetterly

  • Permission required before any part of this blog post is reprinted, reworded or used in any form. 
  • You are welcomed to share the LINK to this blog post.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment